Saturday, February 25, 2017

Meet SAQA Oregon Member Paulette Landers

Paulette Landers of Rainier, Oregon



1. How would you describe the work that you make? Do you have an elevator speech? Have you found your "artistic voice"?

My work can be described as Mixed Media Textile Collage.  I work experimentally, always asking “What if …?” -- each work building on the previous ones.  It is a process of evolution and discovery.  I work in an abstract style because it allows me to give form to the intangibility of ideas or dreams.  I experiment with that form as far as it will allow me.  I do not make a sketch.  Instead, I write what I call “Mind Sketch”, a series of ideas to guide me along the way.  I find the “Mind Sketch” more useful to me.  It avoids setting a pre-established image and instead, it allows me to work with the image in progress.  In this intuitive process, it is the adventure and the unknown which appeal to me.

2. What brought you to making fiber art? What is your art, sewing, or fiber background? When did you make your first quilt that you considered "art"?

I cannot remember a time when I did not work with fabric.  I have a B.A. in Fiberarts from California State University, Fullerton.  I like working on large textile pieces.  But I have found that miniature works are also challenging.  They are like trying to write a story with as few words as possible and still convey an impression.  It is an excellent approach to test out ideas.

3. Describe the steps involved in your art-making process.

The evolution of my work involves a number of key stages:  underpainting; working with dyes and fabric paints to add texture and basic shapes; collage of hand-dyed fabric to simplify and balance areas of interest; using surface design for lines and details; and finally, stitching the work.

4. What is your one favorite or most common source of inspiration?

Dreams or deep contemplation often inspire the beginning of a work.  But, since I work intuitively, often the work itself conjures up ideas and images which lead me to unexpected ending.

5. Do you enter your work in shows? What would you say have been your top three exhibits?

I love to show my work in major exhibits.  My favorite venues have been Visions Art Museum, Art Quilt Elements, and Quilts=Art=Quilts.

6. Describe your studio space.

Over the years, I have had a number of studio spaces.  Currently I have a studio in North Bend and one in Rainier.  I love the space and serenity of my North Bend studio.  It provides me with complete escape.




7. How much time do you spend on your art? How do you balance your life between art, family, friends, day job, etc.?

On most days, I spend 4-6 hours in my studio.  I feel something is missing if I am away for too long.

8. Do you work in other mediums or use unusual materials in your work?

As Mixed Media Textile Collage, my work offers so many ways to create an imagery.  I use whatever a work calls for to achieve my visions.

No comments:

Post a Comment